I was interviewed by Susan Hay of Global TV about how to keep New Year's Resolutions. Here are some of the things I recommend.
1) Don't try to change too many things at once. Focussing on one change at a time is more likely to succeed.
2) Break your goal into tiny steps. For example, if your goal is to get into shape, break that down into smaller goals, like "I will exercise three times a week for at least 15 minutes".
3) Make goals achievable. It's better to say "I will lose 10 pounds" and carry it out then to make the goal too big. You want to ACHIEVE goals so you can feel successful.
4) Visualize yourself achieving your goals. If you feel as though your are already succeeding, it gets your subconscious on your side.
5) Reward yourself every time you succeed in the micro goals. For example, after each 15 minutes exercise segment, put a gold star on a paper calendar you post somewhere prominently in your home.
Here is the link from the Global TV interview: